- Plantain stem/ Valathandu (about 15 cm) -1
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Channa dal soaked in water - 2 tsp
- Grated coconut - 2 tsp
- Garlic pods - 2(optional)
- Green chillies - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Pressure cook chopped valathandu with salt and turmeric powder for 3 whistles.
- Grind everything given under "to grind" into paste.
- Now heat cooked valathandu and add ground paste, let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Finally temper the valathandu kootu with items given under "to temper".
- Serve hot with roti or rice.